Apple released iOS 4.0.2 for iPhones and iOS 3.2.2 for iPads, patching the PDF security exploit, which also blocks browser-based jailbreaking by visiting JailbreakMe.com. For iPhone 3GS and 4G users, if you are relying on jailbreaking and carrier unlocking, stay away from this update until jailbreaking tools are released.
Fortunately for iPhone 3G users, you can still jailbreak iOS 4.0.2 using redsn0w by pointing to the older iOS 4.0 firmware ipsw file, here’s how.
1. make sure iTunes v9.2 is installed, because redsn0w will depend on it.
2. Run redsn0w, click Browse and select the 4.0 ipsw file, Click Next.
3. Select your jailbreak options. Make sure Install Cydia is selected; the other ones are optional. Verbose boot displays detailed boot information is generally preferred by developers and advanced users.
Tip: RedSn0w selected to Enable multitasking by default. If multi-tasking is not essential for you, we would recommend un-check it as it makes iPhone 3G run very slow.
4. Please turn off your iPhone now and plug it into the computer, then click Next.
5. Follow the on-screen instruction to get into DFU mode.
6. Redsn0w will now take care of the jailbreak process, once it’s complete you will be notified that RedSn0w is done. Click the Finish button. When your iPhone finishes rebooting (5 minutes or so) it will be jailbroken.
1. For unlock users, update your ultrasn0w to v1.1-1 to save battery life, as iPhone Dev Team annnounced in Twitter:
ultrasn0w upgraded to version 1.1-1 we’ve tweaked a few things that may help with standby battery life, you can upgrade via Cydia.
2. Although Apple has promised to investigating the issue of iOS 4.x slowing iPhone 3G down, there’s no confirmation that iOS 4.0.2 has fixed this. If you’re experiencing slow performance with your iPhone 3G in iOS 4.x, turn off Spotlight by going to Settings- General -Home – Search Results, and shut off everything you don’t need.
- iPhone iOS 4.0.1 Draws Better Signal Bars Without Fixing Your Signal Problems
- You Can Jailbreak iPhones, iPads, iPod Touch Right There In An Apple Store
- How to Install Flash On Your iPhone 4 Using Frash
- Unlock Your iPhone 4 Using ultrasn0w 1.0-1
- Unlock iPhone iOS4 Baseband 05.13.04 With UltraSn0w 0.93
- iPad Firmware 3.2.1 Released to Fix Wi-Fi Connection
- iPhone iOS 4 Gold Master Found in the Wild (Download)